Jesus' disciples are simply harvesting some ears to kill hunger on Saturday. This was allowed (cf. Dt 23,25). It was forbidden to harvest (pass the sickle) in the plantation of the other people (cf. Dt 23,26). The Pharisees, however, using malintendment and trying to confuse the Master, accuse his disciples of violation of sabbatical law. Quick in reasoning, Jesus refutes the criticism of the Pharisees by showing that their great leader, David, fed himself and his companions with the sacred bread, which was reserved for priests. That is, David allowed himself to act above the law to remedy a legitimate need of him and his companions. Jesus makes it clear that the law exists to benefit the human being. It also reveals that he himself is bigger than David, who they so much cherished.
Adapted by Flávio.
1. Outrora vós falastes em visões a vossos santos: † “Coloquei uma coroa na cabeça de um herói / e do meio deste povo escolhi o meu eleito.
2. Encontrei e escolhi a Davi, meu servidor, / e o ungi, para ser rei, com meu óleo consagrado. / Estará sempre com ele minha mão onipotente, / e meu braço poderoso há de ser a sua força.
3. Ele, então, me invocará: ‘Ó Senhor, vós sois meu Pai, / sois meu Deus, sois meu rochedo onde encontro a salvação!’ / E por isso farei dele o meu filho primogênito, / sobre os reis de toda a terra farei dele o rei altíssimo”.
I found and chose David, my server.
1. Once you spoke in visions to your saints: † "I put a crown in the head of a hero / and the midst of this people I chose my elect.
2. I found and chose David, my server, / and anointed him, to be king, with my consecrated oil. / It will always be with him my omnipotent hand, / and my powerful arm will be your strength.
3. He will then summon me, 'O Lord, you are my Father, / you are my God, you are my rock where I find salvation!' / And for this is why I will make him my firstborn son, / upon the kings of all the earth I shall make him the most high king."
Traçando o sinal da cruz em seu/ua filho/a: Abençoe a você (nome do filho/a), nosso Deus que é † Pai, Filho e Espírito Santo, para que você filho/a viva sempre no amor de Deus e fazendo só o bem a todos. Amém!
By tracing the sign of the cross on your son/daughter: Bless you (name of child), our God who is † father, son, and holy spirit, for you child alive always in love of God and doing good to all. Amen!